Sunday, May 4, 2014

Rebecca: Poo happens

On the weekends, I enjoy walking with Ben and Pepper, our flat-coated retriever mix.  We discuss what is going on and, generally, enjoy uninterrupted conversation.  This morning, both Ben and I must have been deep in thought because we did not have much to say.  Honestly, I was thinking about the grocery list, and he was fretting about the Spurs vs. Mavericks game.

When we got home, I decided that I had JUST enough time to go to the grocery store before church.  As I was putting on my shoes (in the garage), I caught the faint order of poo.  I looked on my shoe and did a quick glance around me. I did not find any poo.  The poo aroma had faded away.  As I got into the car, I noticed some dirt on my jeans.  After trying to rub it off with my hands, I smelled my hand.  I had POO ON MY JEANS, and now I had a poo-smelling hand.  When I ran into the house, I was paralyzed by needing to clorox by hand, rip off my jeans, and beat the dog (We do not beat our dog or even hit her.  Folks familiar with retriever breeds warn that they like to roll in poo.  Pepper has this retriever trait, and it makes me want to scream.  So again, I do not kick our dog.  But I do scream.)  Since I was screaming that the dog had poo on her, Ben quickly grabbed the dog, confirmed the presence of poo, and washed her in our make-shift outdoor dog bath (We have a make-shift outdoor bath because that is how often she rolls in poo).

After relative calm was re-established, it was too late to go to the store.  I have needed to post, so I decided to write on the blog.  The subject was NOT poo, but today's original post idea was not flowing.  My frustration level was increasing with the decibels of my children playing/fighting/whining in the next room.  Because it was easier to blame my children than myself for the writer's block, I loudly ordered them to play outside.  And to close the door!!!

Ahhh. Quiet.  The blog still was not flowing.  Since I had no one left to blame for my lack of creativity, I finally gave up and shut down the computer.  It was time for church.  Yes, I was heading to church with a very non-church attitude.

After some time and grace, it was my daughter that helped me to laugh at the morning.  Imagine sitting in church, thinking someone smells like poo...only to discover after service, the stinky person was you.  She reminded me that I had discovered the poo before going out in public and that the situation could have been really embarrassing.  She graciously accepted my apology for yelling at her and for allowing a little poo to ruin my morning.

Poo, it happens.  When it happens, don't kick the dog, don't yell at the kids, don't let it ruin your day.  Fix the problem, laugh at the craziness, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment