Monday, January 20, 2014

Rebecca: Sleeping in

With the MLK holiday, I had a three day weekend.  I love that my corporate job has declared Martin Luther King Day and President's Day as holidays.  With the extra day, I got some extra sleep.  

As our kids have gotten older, they sleep-in.  No more waking up mommy and daddy at 6am, even on the weekends.  The late weekend mornings are a recent trend, and I love it.  This morning, I slept until 8am...yes, that is sleeping in.  In the last decade, our mornings have started between 4:30 and 6:00am.  During his corporate years, Ben often went to work at 5:00am.  Juggling kids and the morning routine, I often started the day at 5am.  On weekends, we wanted to sleep late, but the whole family was usually wide awake by 7am (I admit it. I was not wide awake, but I was up - changing a diaper, cooking breakfast, downing a cup of coffee).  

This morning, I looked at the clock at 6:30am.  I decided, "just a few more minutes."  I finally rolled out of bed at 8am.  I wish I could write that I jumped out of bed, ready to tackle the day.  But it was more of a roll out of bed. 

While it was a late start for our family, we did take full advantage of the extra day off.  Ben and I did some much needed exercise, I almost finished the laundry (laundry is never completely done), and the family completed some errands.

The "early bird may get the worm," but some days a little extra sleep goes a long way.  I think we are ready to conquer the world...or at least, start on the taxes, figure out the formula for an object in motion, explain pythagorean theorem to our daughter, and another load of laundry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment