Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Rebecca: One Bag

Yesterday, I left for a week- long meeting in Atlanta.  While there were lots of things on my mind (will Ben remember that piano resumes this week, will our 10 year old remember to register for the TKD tournament in November, do we need milk, we do need toilet paper), my priority was to pack a full week’s wardrobe in a carry-on. 

Typically, when I travel, I am only gone for 2-3 days.  For these short trips, I pack a carry-on suitcase and my computer bag.  I really DO NOT like to check bags.  I am a little concerned my luggage may not make it to the final destination; but truthfully, I want to bolt out of the airport when I return home.  I do not want to stand around and wait for my bags to arrive at the luggage carousel.  After travelling, I just want to go home.

A week-long business meeting challenged my packing skills, but I boarded the plane with my carry-on and my computer bag.  I packed business wear, work-out clothes, and a causal outfit (jeans).   A few helpful hints for packing:
  • Wear black pants.  They go with everything, and I wear them more than once.  On Friday, no one will know that you wore the pants on Tuesday. 
  • Really consider the shoes. I packed a pair of black heels and a pair of sneakers.  I know we will have 2 casual evening events, so I packed a pair of black flats.  I usually pack 1 pair of shoes and wear my sneakers on the flight. It was a bonus that I had room for the black flats. 
  • Compromise on the toiletries.  I intentionally write compromise because most of us cannot fit our bathroom counter in a carry-on.   By airport rules, all the liquids and gels have to fit in a quart bag and contain less than 3 oz. (I am not sure of the volume restriction, but it is ridiculously small).  When possible, I use travel size toiletries.  I have finally found a travel-sized hair gel that I like.  I do not love it, but it works for travel.  For me, the hardest items to forgo are my face wash and face lotion.  Although it is over the volume limit, I stuff my face lotion in the quart bag.  Thankfully, TSA has not confiscated it.  For the face wash, I have not found a travel size or a substitute.  I swear I have 2-3 more wrinkles after the long trips. 
  • A little make-up goes a long way.  When travelling, I do not get fancy with the make-up.  I need it (my skin is over 40 years old), and I can’t attend professional meetings without it.  But I keep it simple.  One does not need different eye shadow or lipstick for each day. 
  • Use dry cleaner bags.  Dry cleaner bags work great for keeping clothes crisp and wrinkle-free.  I pack my pants, blouses, and blazers in dry cleaner bags.  I place one item of clothing in a bag, make sure there are no creases on the clothing, and carefully fold the garment.  Since the bags take a little extra space, I only pack the clothes that I do not want to wrinkle.  Work-out clothes, PJs, and under garments go in the bottom.


Please note that when I travel with the family, we are lucky if we only check 2 bags.  Not matter how hard I try, we usually have 2 large bags.  Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment