Monday, October 7, 2013

Collection Views

    Well, I managed to get 2 of the 3 items on my list done.  
    The backend Core Data classes are now testable and even use a in-Memory database file to keep things clean.  It took longer than I thought to get this working, but I am glad to have the infrastructure firmed up.   Along the way I also added a shared Manager class to handle the different types of Scoring screens that can be used in the App.  The scoring screens themselves will be Sprite Kit 'Scenes' which present the data in different formats.  The new Manager allows me to add or alter the Scenes used by adding some code and updating my Scene detail property list.
    The second accomplishment was getting the first screen or Menu screen to show the Scoring type icons in a Collection View.  First time for me using these, but pretty similar to the Table View system.  It can use some tweaking, but I think I got this part of the application pretty modular.
The only thing I wish I can finished was one of the actual Scenes, specifically the Tabular screen.      Think of a blackboard and how you would write out simple arithmetic problems in 3rd grade.  That is my goal.  Yes, my goal is 3rd Grade...

- Geek Side Note - Although I have my Core Data backend running and unit testing, I elected to use the standard Property List (plist) file to hold the different Scoring Scene data.  I used this in a previous app to some success for things that don't really change a lot.  It also keeps the Core Data 'database' clear of objects used in game design.  I prefer to have the Core Data be used for the Players, Scores, Games, etc...

Tomorrow I have a lunch meeting with fellow developer, so the afternoon could be short.   Hopefully, I can get one of the scoring Scenes working so that I can demo it at lunch.  Sounds like an early morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment